Interesting Summer

 What do you do in the summer? I am guessing most people like to take some time off! I agree, a laudable goal. And indeed, I did take some time off - even as I hope to be able to take a bit more. BUT...

This summer has found me involved in a number of things that were not "summer vacation-y."

First, I gathered in St. Louis with a about 150 other folks who were invited to serve Christ's Church by making up one of 13 different floor committees who will organize the resolutions to be brought to the National Convention of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod later this month. (Yes, I will be there as a pastoral delegate.) I had previously been in St. Louis in January as part of the Committee for Convention Nominations helping to put together the various slates of candidates for the elections to take place. (Yes, it has been a busy year!)

After returning home from the Floor Committee weekend of meetings, Pauline and I (12 of us from Zion & St. Peter) were part of a crew of 56 who traveled by bus to the Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter. What a wonderful experience to examine the same scientific evidence that others use and come to a very different conclusion than an old earth and that life has evolved form primordial ooze. It is plain that the scientific evidence so easily declares that the Biblical account of God's six 24-hour day creation, with a 7th day of rest is the right conclusion. I was blessed to provide pastoral care to folks who may not necessarily be members of the congregations I serve, but whom God placed me before to bring peace and comfort. God is indeed good!

Came back from Kentucky and was blessed to bring Christ to the saints whom He has called me to serve at Zion/St. Peter/St. John Lutheran Churches.

On that following Monday, I began a couple weeks of vacation. I spent the first couple days fishing with a dear friend, a fellow pastor. Fishing was the operative word, for the catching wasn't. Sometimes it is the company and not the success of the venture that is most important. And of course, two pastors together and you know they had conversations about God, and how His word and work impact and intersect with today's world and culture.

Pauline and I then did a couple day trips before we headed to Illinois to be with her side of the family. What a great time to see some folks we haven't seen in ages! And a blessing to gather together with those whom we see just about every summer.

In a couple weeks I will take some of our youth the the Higher Things Conference, "Beyond Reasonable Doubt" at Southern Illinois University. Gathering with other youth from all over the U.S. (and possibly other countries) to study Scripture, worship together, and hang out is amazing. As I get older, I can also attest to the truth that it is exhausting - in a very good way.

I am barely home for a week when I leave again for Milwaukee and the LCMS National Convention. It normally happens every three years, but "THAT" happened, and a good portion of a year got discombobulated. So, this is the 4th year since the last one. Delegated from every District in the Synod will gather to make decisions about the leadership and the direction of our beloved church body for the next Triennium. We will worship, work, study, and even listen to guests from all over the globe - together. Pray God's blessings on our work.

In August, I will lead the Catechumens from all three congregation on Retreat. We will be together for 3 nights/4 days and our topic will be: "Talking to God - How Should We Pray?" Taking meals together, studying, worship, and recreational time as God's children together is a great way for the pastor to get to know the  young people God has entrusted into his care, as well as for them to get to know him.

Yes, a busy summer - an interesting summer - but another summer in God's grace.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday after Trinity X - Devotion in semi-Exile

Wednesday after Epiphany I - A devotion

Higher Things Weekend 2/18-20