Been A While

 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

It has been a while since I have posted on this blog. Why? Good questions! Best response? OK, how about the most honest response? I got lazy! I was putting a lot of energy into writing decent devotions. I don't do some of the special stuff, cute graphics, wonderful pictures, and all that sort of stuff. I don't have the technical know-how to do such things. And to be frank, I don't want to take the time to learn.

OK, having said all that, I thought I would write something new - if for no other reason than to say, "Hello! Who's out there?"

Now that we're here though, maybe a few thoughts might be in order, they may be devotional, they many not.

The other day I packed up a couple rods and headed out to the river. While I was driving, I was listening to Jeremiah. As I have done for a few years now, I challenge people to join me in reading through either the New Testament, or the entire Bible in a specific time frame - from Ash Wednesday through Pentecost. It can be a bit daunting if easily distracted, but this year I decided I was going to listen to it via and audible Bible app. What I have found truly interesting is how many time I have had to back up and listen to something again and say, "Hmmm, how come I missed that before?" 

To be fair, I am listening to is in a translation I have not used before to read through the entire Scripture, so maybe that is the difference. But I am no fully convinced that is that case. It might be that I have just gotten to the point of decrepitude in the natural cycle of aging that I have forgotten things. Or maybe, as we experience more of life and the things going on around us, something strikes us in a new way. 

I am not going to sit here and write to you about the new insights I have gleaned, but I will use this as a moment to encourage you.

  • Open your Bible and get into it. 
  • Maybe find a new translation (make sure it is faithful to the original texts and not a version that is simply trying to appeal to the masses by being cutting edge). 
  • Maybe listen to it instead of reading it. 
  • Whatever you choose to do, remember to approach it in prayer, asking God to grant His Holy Spirit upon your time in His Word that you may be led to grow in faith and the knowledge of the truth.

Peace of the Lord be with you!  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday after Trinity X - Devotion in semi-Exile

Wednesday after Epiphany I - A devotion

Higher Things Weekend 2/18-20