Saturday after Ascension - Devotion in Exile

Lection for Saturday after Ascension
Numbers 13:1-3, 17-33      Luke 18:1-17
(Not quite sure what happened to the original devotion... I looked at my blog today, Sunday, and saw that it was missing. I know I wrote it... I know I published it...or at least I thought I knew... this is not what I wrote previously, for that is gone. I think that was better than this. But, this is offered in it's stead, begging your forgiveness if you were searching for one on Saturday)

Our reading from Luke ends: And they were bringing even their babies to Him so that He would touch them, but when the disciples saw it, they began rebuking them. 16 But Jesus called for them, saying, “Permit the children to come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 17 Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” (vv. 15-17)


What was going on in this passage of Scripture? People were coming to Jesus for miracles of healing, to hear Him speak, to be touched by Him. Some people were even bringing their small children. They were not bringing them to receive something special – a children’s sermon, or a service that was appropriate to their level – they were bringing the children to receive the same thing.

It is unfortunate, but the disciples began to rebuke those bringing their children. Jesus on the other hand tells the disciples to permit the children to come to Him, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these – in fact, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” (vs. 17)

Child-like faith! Faith that removes reason! Faith that trusts almost blindly!

How often is our faith corrupted by the things that get in the way, things with which we are comfortable – the devil, the world, and our sinful flesh. These are siren voices that try to drown out the Word of Christ and the Spirit working in us.

The world beckons, “You can do that, God doesn’t mind. Look around, everybody else is doing it too! Scripture declares something different? Seriously? That out-dated tome? We are you going to get with the ages?”

“Indeed,” says the child of God, “But my Father has called me to be different in the world. My Father has called me to be faithful to His Word. No, I have not kept that Word perfectly, but it is that Word and will of God to which I daily strive. And when I fail, I know the love the Father has to forgive me in Christ.”

Your sins are forgiven! But Satan whispers in our ears, “That cannot be true, look at your life, see how you confess your sins and fall into the same sin again, even though you know it is wrong, even though you know the price paid to purchase your forgiveness?” The child of God replies, “I am baptized into Christ’s death and resurrection! I am a child of God!”

Children rely upon someone other than themselves to care for them in all their needs. Against this you and I struggle, daily! How wonderful it is that we are reminded that we are children of God every morning, every evening, and whenever we speak the words of our baptism “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit!”

May we be reminded daily of the place we have in God’s kingdom, as dearly beloved children.

Let us pray:      Almighty and Everlasting God, You are always more ready to hear than we to pray and You give us more than either we desire or deserve.  Pour down on us the abundance of Your mercy, forgiving us those things of which our conscience is afraid, and giving us those good things which we are not worthy to ask but through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Ghost, ever One God, world without end.  Amen. (Collect for Trinity XI)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday after Trinity X - Devotion in semi-Exile

Wednesday after Epiphany I - A devotion

Misericordias Domini Friday - Devotion in Exile