Cantate Wednesday - Devotion in Exile

Lection for Cantate Wednesday
Leviticus 23:23-44      Luke 12:35-53

In the text from Luke’s Gospel which you just read, there are some parts that come off rather confusing, and some other things which many find downright discouraging.

Let us take a few moments to consider what Christ is talking about in regard to what He says about the family.
“Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.” (vv. 51-53)

This seems difficult, but it truly is not. In fact, most people understand it immediately, they simply do not like to admit what it is saying. These words of Jesus do not fit our 21st Century definition of being nice. It certainly says something different than what some people proclaim, “Jesus never rejects anyone. Neither do we.”

Is it true that Jesus rejects nobody? I suppose it all depends on what you are trying to say by those words.

It is most certainly true that Jesus did give His life as the ransom for all. He died to pay price demanded as the penalty for all sin. He died to purchase forgiveness for all no matter what their sinful condition might be. But does that mean that as He paid the sacrifice for sin, that we may continue to live our lives in impenitence? Since all sin is paid in full, since Christ’s death is the all atoning sacrifice, does that mean we are allowed to continue in same sin impenitently, without any repentance, and expect God is going to be happy with that?

Jesus also said, “Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matt. 5:48)

If I were to walk out of the grocery store with two Cokes that I tucked secretly in my pocket, and did not pay for them, that would be stealing. If I am unwilling to admit that it is stealing, and if I were to continue to do it day, after day, after day, always denying that it is stealing – and if I were to continue to do so until my dying day, is there forgiveness?

Okay, let's say I only do it occasionally and not every day. But, if I still refuse to call it stealing and also refuse to repent of the times I have done it in the past – is there forgiveness?

Jesus proclaimed, “But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” (Matt. 5:28) You can commit adultery in your thoughts, how much more with your bodies?

But didn’t Jesus come to abolish the Old Testament rules? By His own lips He proclaimed, “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.” (Matt. 5:17) He fulfilled the Law! He kept it perfectly – in thought, word, AND deed – what no one before, or since, has been able to keep. It is this perfection which He sacrifices by His death upon the cross.

As I said, Jesus paid the price for all sin, but if I do not believe that I need it, then I do not trust in Jesus as my Savior – I think I am doing it myself. 

I am not perfect! Those who repent of their sinfulness – that is, have sorrow over their sin, agree to amend their sinful life (with the help of God), and turn to trust in the forgiveness Christ purchased – are perfect and holy, just as Christ is, for they are now in Christ.

In Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus speaks words which reflect the words of our text.
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.”
 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.” (Matt. 10:34-39)

When family members overlook the sins of their family members, without begging them to repent and trust the work of Christ, they are not worthy of Christ.

I desire to amend my life of those things which God has declared that I am not to do in my thoughts and in my deeds, both toward Him and toward my neighbor. I do not excuse them, nor think lightly of them – I confess them as sins and ask God’s grace to help me live a new life – a life in obedience to His Word and will – and at the same time, trust that in Christ all my sins are forgiven.

Let us pray:      Gracious God, Your Son appeared to His disciples in His resurrected flesh to ordain them and to send them out into the world, that repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name. Continue to raise up for us faithful men to serve in the Office of the Holy Ministry, and sustain those whom You have sent with courage and endurance to proclaim Your Word in truth and purity that people would be brought to confess Jesus as their Lord and Savior God. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday after Trinity X - Devotion in semi-Exile

Wednesday after Epiphany I - A devotion

Misericordias Domini Friday - Devotion in Exile